Judge Roy Bean Courthouse Replica at Centennial Park
Judge Roy Bean was known as the “Law of the Pecos”, referring to west of the Pecos River, which spans approximately 800 miles and includes the city of Pecos. Judge Roy Bean established his headquarters/courthouse about 1882 in Langtry, Texas, 180 miles south of Pecos. Being a circuit judge he would periodically hold court in the city of Pecos. He would back up his team of mules and wagon and set up court (at the present day location of the Sheriff’s Dept.) on the 500 block of Cedar St. or Hwy.285 in Pecos.
In 1935, in preparation for Pecos to celebrate Texas Centennial (1936), a trip to Langtry by local officials was made to take exact measurements of the courthouse-saloon. Lumber from an abandoned ranch house on the Colson ranch north of Toyah was acquired. The building was built and placed at the corner of 3rd and Cypress St. (site of Trans Pecos Bank). In 1959 the replica was moved to 5th and Oak St. to make room for the new bank. In 1975 it moved again to its present location at the Centennial Park in time for the national bicentennial celebration of America’s 200th birthday. The replica was used as a Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center, gift shop and museum.
For more information on the colorful Judge Roy Bean, please take time to visit the West of the Pecos Museum and the gift shop/museum book store.