Mesquite House at Centennial Park
Pecos started as a station on the Texas and Pacific Railway when it was built in 1881. On the west bank of the river a small settlement housed in tents and a few frame buildings – grew up around the Railroad Station house. The Station House was probably a railway box-car that was later replaced by a frame building. In 1883 Reeves County was created and in 1884 it was organized with Pecos City as the County Seat. With this indication of permanence, the town was moved from the flooding Pecos River’s banks to higher ground at its present location. A few of the original buildings remain, and the Mesquite House is thought to be the oldest building in Pecos, having been moved up from the river. This house was built by Peter Goodloe, and was located on Second and Willow Street in Pecos. In 1975 the Mesquite House was moved to its present location in Centennial Park, in time for the National Bicentennial celebration of America’s 200th birthday. While empty now, it housed an art gallery and the West of the Pecos Museum Gift Shop in years past. For more information on the pioneer history of Reeves County and Pecos, visit the West of the Pecos Museum.